Thursday, March 16, 2006

Go little book . . .

I was browsing other blogs and came upon the one written by author John Connolly where he suggested that this quote from Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde would make an excellent prayer for authors:


"Go, litel bok . . .
And red whereso thow be, or elles songe,
That thow be understood, God I biseche!"

(which he roughly translates as: Go, little book, and wherever you are read, I ask God only that you be understood.)




Though I don't know the original context of this quote, I think the way Mr. Connolly has interpreted it is very apt.

Because there is nothing quite so exciting as when someone understands what an author's written. When they are on the same page, and explain back to her her own reasoning. When someone else, someone she doesn't know well, who doesn't know her well, gets it. Just, you know, gets it.

1 comment:

David Garrett said...

Was posting on my own blog. . . having not written for several months!... when I came across your blog searching for the phrase "go little book."

Thanks. Hope you don't mind if I borrow it.